Volkswagen Of America - Many problems with 2002 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo 1.8 L
Update added by user Feb 16, 2013
I made a mistake of my calculations... I've actually spent $1,493.00 in 8 months
Original review posted by user Feb 16, 2013
Well, when many people told me not to buy a Volkswagen, I simply ignored them and thought, "they are a ford/Chevy die hard fan, what do they know?" Turns out, then know a lot! I bought my 2002 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo off of an old couple. They wanted to sell it so they could get a van to haul their grand kids around. I was so happy to buy it. It's been my dream car since I was a freshman in high school. And there I was, a sophomore in college getting my dream car. I fell in love at first sight. She was bright yellow, a sunroof to tease my hair, and the coolest interior I've ever seen. But that's about all it was, pretty. Eh, about 1 month of having my car, I was driving down the bypass with my pregnant friend in the passenger seat. We were having a good ole' time! When suddenly, my abs light blinks, radio shuts off, and then there goes my car. Everything off going down the bypass at 50 mph. I've always been a quick thinker, thanks to playing softball since I was 4. I quickly went in the center lane, and by the grace of God whipped it into Ryan's restaurant parking lot. Now sitting there with a pregnant woman, who is hysterical might I add, I am trying to think of what to do. Once again, thanks to my Father up above, my uncle calls me asking what I was doing. I told him I'd broke down. So he quickly came to help. In the meantime, my friend had called her mom to pick her up. Her mom waited to make sure my uncle came before she left. Well there me and my uncle are with the hood up. It was very hot! But since it was raining I'm sure that helped.... The motor that is. I was still hot headed. We lifted up the fuse link cover and there it was! A fuse link had been completely melted in half, along with half the fuse link box! My fuse link had caught on fire! My uncle is a great hillbilly rigger, so we went down to the o'reilly store and bought 3 fuse links to put together so it would equal the amount that was there before, since they didn't sell any of the ones I needed (of course). That was $7.00. We ended up having to buy a completely new fuse box! Totaling $56.00..... Thank you volkswagen for story #1 :)
Now, story #2 is a trip!
I was always having trouble starting up my car. Sometimes I had to be jumped off. Really embarrassing when your picking up your boyfriend at his high school and his fellow classmates have to jump you off. Anyways, we traveled to advance to see if they could check my battery. Sure enough it was dead! We bought a battery totaling $20.00. It was an interstate battery that had been clearanced. Not a thing wrong with it, just it sat on the shelf too long. But problem is, no one could get the old battery out. It's been bolted in. So naturally, you have to take it to the dealership. When they were done, they charged me $200.00.
Thanks again volkswagen.
On my way home from work, suddenly my car shuts off. . . Again! I was stranded on the side of the road. I called my uncle to help. I didn't call my parents simple because their both sick. I don't want them worrying. But my uncle came after he finished closing up his shop. He popped the hood, nothing was wrong. He started my car right up. But earlier it wouldn't even turn! Never knew what happened.
In December 2012, I was driving home from work, I was 2 miles from my house when, once again, my car shuts off going 45 mph. This time was so joyful, my power steering went out along with it. I pulled off, straining, into a side road that I knew. I then steered it into a driveway that was up for auction. I tried to start my car several times, but it wouldn't turn at all. As a girl, I cried. I was so tired of things messing up. I have bills to pay. I shouldn't have to worry about something messing up on my car every month. So I called a guy I go to church with who lived on the same street. He was there within 5 minutes to try and help me. He couldn't figure it out. So he went across the street to get our pastor. When my pastor arrived, he was checking everything. We couldn't figure anything out. The kid from church drove me home. I had to get my car towed to the mechanic my rather knew own the street. Towing was $50.00. When the mechanic got to look at it, he broke my heart. My timing belt broke at 74,000 miles. I had no idea when I needed to change my timing belt. Volkswagen doesn't send out mail like everyone else. So I had to have it towed, again, to a mechanic 6 miles away. Which cost me another $40.00. The mechanic is an amazing person. He is cheaper than everyone else around. He is a good guy. After he fixed all 20 valves, replaced my timing belt, head, and hoses. It cost me a heart wrenching $1,070.00. Once again, thanks volkswagen.
Story #5 (final & continuing story)
Well, 3 days ago, I was at Walgreens and was fixing to leave to go to work. When suddenly, you guessed it, my car wouldn't start..... It would start then die.... Start then die.... Then nothing. I had to have it towed again :) $40.00. We towed it to the same mechanic who fixed my valves. He got to looking at it and told us it could be the key or the security system. He's not sure which one. But either way we have to get it towed to Johnson city. .... To be continued
To some of you, it may seem like I got off good. But I'm a college student whose parents can't help her at all because their both dealing with an illness. I have a minimum wage job, working 30 hours a week plus a full time college schedule. I have a car payment, insurance payment, and phone bill. These car troubles cripple me. Sad thing is, volkswagen knows they have all these problems and yet refuse to find the problems and fix them for good. They haven't had a recall either. I will never own another volkswagen again.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Volkswagen Beetle
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "I'm Suraj Kancharla, an International student attending grad school in California. I bought an '03 passat in '13 and been looking after it with a lot of care - regular..."
- "Subaru seems to randomly cover or not cover engines in the STi model that break piston ringlands. I had to get quite hostile to finally get reimbursed for my..."
- "Drop off car for service for 40,000, when car was ready pick up, vw attend pull up left door open I didnt see it. When pulling home when I got..."
- "DON'T use them. I placed my order using PAYPAL on Nov 12. Stupidly, I thought these would be Thanksgiving outfits ... then Christmas ... THEN VALENTINE'S. They have NO customer..."
- "I ordered a "Deluxe" funeral spray, shown. Their website said the Deluxe was what was pictured. I paid $107. I accidentally put "Jr." after my brother's name (my Dad was..."
- "So, like many Americans, I took part in Black Friday. While stocking up on various items, I went to the skinstore.com to get some face lotion (Epionce Renewal Facial Lotion)..."
- "Washer went out and they came out and diagnosed the problem. They ordered the part and when it was time to fix it they claimed the warehouse ordered the part..."
- "I purchased an antenna from www.antennadeals.com. I have yet to receive my antenna or a refund, which I have requested. I have emailed them quite a few times, with only..."
- "Look up on internet George Doyle, Brian Ashford-selling sick-half dead pups! The pics you see are Fake! They are being sued Again! they just got over $1200 out of me...."