Volkswagen Of America - Many problems with 2002 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo 1.8 L
Update added by user Feb 16, 2013
I made a mistake of my calculations... I've actually spent $1,493.00 in 8 months
Original review posted by user Feb 16, 2013
Well, when many people told me not to buy a Volkswagen, I simply ignored them and thought, "they are a ford/Chevy die hard fan, what do they know?" Turns out, then know a lot! I bought my 2002 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo off of an old couple. They wanted to sell it so they could get a van to haul their grand kids around. I was so happy to buy it. It's been my dream car since I was a freshman in high school. And there I was, a sophomore in college getting my dream car. I fell in love at first sight. She was bright yellow, a sunroof to tease my hair, and the coolest interior I've ever seen. But that's about all it was, pretty. Eh, about 1 month of having my car, I was driving down the bypass with my pregnant friend in the passenger seat. We were having a good ole' time! When suddenly, my abs light blinks, radio shuts off, and then there goes my car. Everything off going down the bypass at 50 mph. I've always been a quick thinker, thanks to playing softball since I was 4. I quickly went in the center lane, and by the grace of God whipped it into Ryan's restaurant parking lot. Now sitting there with a pregnant woman, who is hysterical might I add, I am trying to think of what to do. Once again, thanks to my Father up above, my uncle calls me asking what I was doing. I told him I'd broke down. So he quickly came to help. In the meantime, my friend had called her mom to pick her up. Her mom waited to make sure my uncle came before she left. Well there me and my uncle are with the hood up. It was very hot! But since it was raining I'm sure that helped.... The motor that is. I was still hot headed. We lifted up the fuse link cover and there it was! A fuse link had been completely melted in half, along with half the fuse link box! My fuse link had caught on fire! My uncle is a great hillbilly rigger, so we went down to the o'reilly store and bought 3 fuse links to put together so it would equal the amount that was there before, since they didn't sell any of the ones I needed (of course). That was $7.00. We ended up having to buy a completely new fuse box! Totaling $56.00..... Thank you volkswagen for story #1 :)
Now, story #2 is a trip!
I was always having trouble starting up my car. Sometimes I had to be jumped off. Really embarrassing when your picking up your boyfriend at his high school and his fellow classmates have to jump you off. Anyways, we traveled to advance to see if they could check my battery. Sure enough it was dead! We bought a battery totaling $20.00. It was an interstate battery that had been clearanced. Not a thing wrong with it, just it sat on the shelf too long. But problem is, no one could get the old battery out. It's been bolted in. So naturally, you have to take it to the dealership. When they were done, they charged me $200.00.
Thanks again volkswagen.
On my way home from work, suddenly my car shuts off. . . Again! I was stranded on the side of the road. I called my uncle to help. I didn't call my parents simple because their both sick. I don't want them worrying. But my uncle came after he finished closing up his shop. He popped the hood, nothing was wrong. He started my car right up. But earlier it wouldn't even turn! Never knew what happened.
In December 2012, I was driving home from work, I was 2 miles from my house when, once again, my car shuts off going 45 mph. This time was so joyful, my power steering went out along with it. I pulled off, straining, into a side road that I knew. I then steered it into a driveway that was up for auction. I tried to start my car several times, but it wouldn't turn at all. As a girl, I cried. I was so tired of things messing up. I have bills to pay. I shouldn't have to worry about something messing up on my car every month. So I called a guy I go to church with who lived on the same street. He was there within 5 minutes to try and help me. He couldn't figure it out. So he went across the street to get our pastor. When my pastor arrived, he was checking everything. We couldn't figure anything out. The kid from church drove me home. I had to get my car towed to the mechanic my rather knew own the street. Towing was $50.00. When the mechanic got to look at it, he broke my heart. My timing belt broke at 74,000 miles. I had no idea when I needed to change my timing belt. Volkswagen doesn't send out mail like everyone else. So I had to have it towed, again, to a mechanic 6 miles away. Which cost me another $40.00. The mechanic is an amazing person. He is cheaper than everyone else around. He is a good guy. After he fixed all 20 valves, replaced my timing belt, head, and hoses. It cost me a heart wrenching $1,070.00. Once again, thanks volkswagen.
Story #5 (final & continuing story)
Well, 3 days ago, I was at Walgreens and was fixing to leave to go to work. When suddenly, you guessed it, my car wouldn't start..... It would start then die.... Start then die.... Then nothing. I had to have it towed again :) $40.00. We towed it to the same mechanic who fixed my valves. He got to looking at it and told us it could be the key or the security system. He's not sure which one. But either way we have to get it towed to Johnson city. .... To be continued
To some of you, it may seem like I got off good. But I'm a college student whose parents can't help her at all because their both dealing with an illness. I have a minimum wage job, working 30 hours a week plus a full time college schedule. I have a car payment, insurance payment, and phone bill. These car troubles cripple me. Sad thing is, volkswagen knows they have all these problems and yet refuse to find the problems and fix them for good. They haven't had a recall either. I will never own another volkswagen again.
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Volkswagen Beetle
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "After purchasing a 2016 Coachmen 378RE, the following quality concerns with the manufacturer and the dealer were discovered. • Coachmen RV has an ineffective quality program. • Coachmen RV warranty resolution process has not..."
- "I went to the Cherry Hill Kia dealership to purchase a second vehicle. They didn't have what I wanted so I went home. The next day I got a call..."
- "I bought a new 2015 Keystone RV Fuzion 371 fifth wheel this fall. Before I even got it parked at home, the front slide had a cable fall off..."
- "I myself have fallen into victim of the Doyles known as Bryan Doyle his real name is George Doyle Tabitha and Sandra Webb back in March of 2015 I purchased..."
- "Paid a lot for dentures that don't fit right,rubbing sores in my mouth,hate the dentures .I have had them adjusted several times and still the same old way.You can look at..."
- "Very unhappy purchased extended warranty for no paper work on it am this happens less then two its of buying it spend 3000.00 am nothing can be done not happy..."
- "Choxi ripped me off for over 100.00! I kept asking when my items would be shipped and would receive replies from their 'customer service' dept., saying they were doing everything..."
- "After seeing that a Cheryl B. from my small hometown had viewed a quote sent for pet photography I was able to see her last name. Curious, I have been..."
- "I purchased two tickets (order number 6743462) for an Adele concert at the Genting Arena (LG Arena), Birmingham on 29 March 2016 for £405.97. Our seat numbers were Section E,..."