I am the only owner of a 2012 Jetta SE (bought it new in 2012). Since Day 1 I have been complaining about the transmission. It shifts hard up, it shifts hard down, it will slam into gears going uphill, it just makes you nervous about driving the car. Every time I brought it in for any service, I had them check for a recall or software upgrade. They would scan my car's on board diagnostics and tell me nothing was wrong. At about 50,000, I had to replace a crankshaft position sensor. At about 90,000, a camshaft position sensor. I believe these were both symptoms of a bigger problem caused by the transmission. Two weeks ago, I was on the highway and try passing someone and the car simply sputtered after 3k RPM. I could not get it into the dealer until today.

Around mid-day, the word came in. They replicated the issue, but no codes in the system. They diagnosed the issue as a valve body, but recommended replacing the entire transmission. Range is $3700-5500!!! My car only has 112,000 miles on it. I called VW Customer Service and stated my case. I explained that while I am indeed out of warranty, I have cited a transmission issue since I purchased the car. They simply told me that the car is out of warranty and there are no current recall campaigns. I asked to speak to a manager and they put me on hold for 20 minutes. They came back and simply said they had a manager approve their diagnosis and VW is not liable for the repairs.

I now feel as if I should have pressed much harder before 60,000 miles to get the transmission replaced as clearly this issue was there all along. Even the Service Manager at my dealership said in his 13 years of being in VW service, he has never seen a VW transmission not stand the test of time. He called the VW transmission "bulletproof".

It just really disappoints me that VW did not even take the time to call and discuss the diagnosis with the dealership or offer anything to me, a loyal 2 time VW customer, as a token of this being some really bad luck and what I believe to be foregoing a transmission replacement until after the warranty when their liability lapses. I will be in the market for a new car next year with my daughter starting to drive, and was definitely going to buy another VW, but now will definitely not. I simply can't trust the brand and I definitely don't feel appreciated as a customer.

Product or Service Mentioned: 2012 Volkswagen Jetta Car.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments