3.2K views
2.4

Update by user Sep 05, 2014

I spoke to a customer service rep at VW America and I will receive a call from the regional manager Monday by 6pm EST. The rep stated I was barely outside my warranty and should get should help. Hopefully they will help me because I so disappointed in VW because I thought they stood behind their product.

Original review posted by user Sep 05, 2014

I have purchased a certified pre-owned 2010 Jetta 2 years ago from Atlantic VW in Islip NY.A week ago my touch screen premium 8 radio stopped working.

I took to the dealership and $150.00 later to be told radio is no good and needs to be replaced for $1000.00. I have never in my life heard of a radio just dying and there's nothing that can be done. I have been on many VW sites etc and it appears this is a common issue and I feel I am getting ripped off. The service tech stated he was not surprise and this type of stuff happens.

Every car previous to this one I have owned was brand new by other makers. I had a touch screen in my previous car and had that car for 4 years and never ever had any issues. I was told to get a VW because they are the best but at this point I am totally disappointed and would never recommend VW to anyone. There is only 50k miles on this car.

I will not pay that type money to replace a apparently defective system.I can be reached at monsaxs@gmail.com

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Replaced the radio at no cost..

Had an Experience with Volkswagen Of America?

Comments

Kenner, Louisiana, United States #1214196

Started My Jetta today radio briefly came on and then died! Less than 40, 000 miles!

to Anonymous South River, New Jersey, United States #1344167

2010 Jetta 35,500 miles.I got into the car and the screen was all black.

I took it to a local garage to have the fuses checked. They were all good. Volkswagon today and had to pay $150.00 for a diagnostic test. It's not a fuse.

It's the radio and the service guy was not surprised. Apparently this is common for this car and radio.

Then I was told it would cost $770 for a new radio to be installed along with taxes.SMH.

Chicago, Illinois, United States #1196143

Similar issue with my 2010 Jetta SE radio.115k miles, and it's running okay mechanically except the radio.

The CD changer started at fail a few months ago so I took all of the CD's out just in case. Yesterday, the display started to flicker and no sound. Today, the same. The radio turns on but doesn't work.

Starting to do my research and I'm finding a lot of issues reported.

I haven't brought it into a dealership yet, but it's out of warranty and I'm afraid it will expensive to fix.I can't justify the cost (from the estimates I see posted) to replace the radio, based upon the value of the car

Same thing happened to me. Our dealership lost interest in helping with anything since we have one of the vehicles effected by the emissions scandal.

YUP!I have a 2011 Jetta TDI and the radio is DEAD!

I took it out and the rear fuse is fine. Only has 70K miles. I talked to VW on the phone and they said there is no warranty/recall on the radio. BS!

On their website it is $1,400 for a new one!!!

to Anonymous #1153521

After making complaint vw corporation. I ended up paying 200

2011 Jetta radio completely dead with less than 48K miles - not a fuse issue, either.However, very disappointed that a call to customer service netted little assistance.

Also reluctant to take it to the dealership after reading there isn't - other than charging you - much that can be done.First time Jetta owner, but would seriously reconsider buying another.

Holden, Massachusetts, United States #1070762

Like everyone my premium radio just died this week.5 years old this month.

This is unheard of that a 5 year old radio just dies.I want to know about the recall.

Were you able to get the issue with your radio resolved by VW?

I have the same problem with my 2011 Jetta TDI. Radio just died.

I am amazed at the poor quality of the Premium radio in my 2010 Jetta.I was told VW I cannot obtain my radio code without going to a dealer and paying a minimum of $109 for a service charge.

In the end I may be asked to fork over $1000 for a new radio. It is my belief the car was payed for the radio is mine and I should be given the code so I can reset the radio before I pay for something I already payed for.

I will also not be a customer after this VW is history.This was my 3rd TDI too.